Tuition Reimbursement for Approved Contractors
Tuition Reimbursement for Eligible Be SMART Contractors
DHCD's Be SMART Program values workforce development and continued professional
growth for its network, and will provide reimbursement for training related to Weatherization
or BPI certification for eligible contractors who are participating with the Be
SMART program. The Be SMART Program will reimburse 50% of tuition expenses for pre-approved
training courses for eligible contractors. In order to be eligible for reimbursement,
course approval must be obtained in advance of enrollment.
- Course tuition will be reimbursed by 50% only if the employee obtains a final passing
- Contractors are responsible for enrolling in training course and paying tuition
costs, prior to seeking reimbursement.
- Reimbursement may be made for direct tuition and registration costs not to include
books, materials, equipment, transportation, lab, or other fees.
- Reimbursement will be made only for approved courses after the participant has completed
the training and furnished proof of its cost, payment, and successful completion.
- The participant is responsible for the tax consequences of tuition reimbursements
made by the Be SMART Program.
How to Receive Reimbursement:
- In order to be eligible for training reimbursement through the Be SMART program,
a contractor must have first submitted a completed application for participation
in the Be SMART program.
- A contractor must complete and submit a Be SMART Training Reimbursement Request
Form. Business information and Section I of the form must be filled out completely
and submitted to the Be SMART program in advance of the start of the training course.
Forms can be scanned and emailed to BeSMARTClerk@mdhousing.org
or faxed to the attention of the Be SMART Clerk at 410-987-8763.
- The Be SMART program will review the training reimbursement form to verify that
the course is eligible for reimbursement and satisfies training requirements. If
approved, the training reimbursement form will be signed by Be SMART staff and returned
to the contractor.
- After successful completion of the course, the contractor will apply for reimbursement
by completing Section II of the approved Be SMART training reimbursement form. Signed
and completed forms should be scanned and emailed to
BeSMARTClerk@mdhousing.org or faxed to the attention of the Be SMART Clerk
at 410-987-8763 along with a grade report or certification of successful course
completion, and documentation of proof of tuition payment for the course.
- Be SMART staff will review the information submitted for reimbursement and submit